To reduce the risk of catching & spreading Coronavirus (COVID-19) we are all being requested to increase cleanliness and hygiene practices. We recommend to follow these guidelines when cleaning and using payment terminal devices to help reduce risk:
- Clean the Payment Terminal regularly.
- Use a lint-free wipe (recommended) or microfiber cloth with a small amount of disinfectant / low concentration of alcohol. For example a low moisture antiseptic alcohol-based wipe.
- Alternatively use a soft damp cloth.
- Dry surfaces after cleaning.
- Encourage cardholders to pay using contactless (card or device) where possible.
- Allow cardholders to use a gloved hand to enter the PIN.
- Advise cardholders to insert the card without touching the terminal. Fixing the terminal can help with this.
- If possible use a connected POS or cash register to enter transaction details.
- Use solvents, detergents or aggressive chemicals such as chlorine, bleach, thinner, trichloroethylene, or ketone-based solvents – they can deteriorate plastic or rubber parts.
- Use sprays or liquids as these will likely lead to damage.
- Coat or pour any disinfectant or other liquid directly onto the terminal.
- Use wipes with high moisture content.
- Use any abrasive cleaners, pads or materials.
- Attempt to clean or insert anything into the card reader.
To learn more about the 3C Payment service and support amid the evolving Covid-19 situation, read our latest news.